Saturday, June 2, 2018

ISTE Standards

The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) created standards which are focused on the use of technology in teaching and learning. 
The consist of 7 core components
1. Learner - stay on the current edge of technology; know all the latest tools and methodologies
2. Leader - within your organization be a voice which promotes technology integration
3. Citizen - be a citizen in the digital world; respectful and responsible.
4. Collaborator - collaborate with students and teachers alike in student learning.
5. Designer - design learning activities which use digital tools and resources. 
6. Facilitator - facilitate technological utilization.
7. Analyst - use technology to help analyze and assess students.
I think the ISTE standards are critical in pushing forward an ever-evolving society and culture which has become almost entirely enveloped in technology. With new technologies come new responsibilities and opportunities, it is critical to have standards which address and leverage the new tool sets. I think the standards are structured broadly enough to be inclusive of an ever evolving tech-based-world, while not being too overtly vague. A balance which I think was well structured. As we further evolve, I imagine, so will the standards, as they should. I am glad that the ISTE put these standards together, as it would be challenging to navigate these new waters. The classroom as a whole evolves every slightly and very slowly over time, however with the introduction of the Personal Computer and the Internet,  changes have occurred at a rapid pace. It was crucial to pivot, examine, and then introduce new standards to address these changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online LD resources

http://www.readingrockets.org/reading-topics/learning-disabilities ReadingRockets has a section discussing how to best understand and educ...