Saturday, June 16, 2018

Week 4 assignment #2

Ed Tech Helps English Language Learners Flourish (https://edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2017/11/ed-tech-helps-english-language-learners-flourish)


The author, Curtis Strietelmeir, has spent around 20 years in education. After much experience and research he writes "the future of teaching lies in using technology more consistently in the classroom because digital media offers access to knowledge without boundaries." specifically relating to ELLs. 

Administrators are always seeking new ways to support ELLs ,technology has introduced a new learning dynamic that facilitates language learning. Efficiently providing technology to practice language learning increases the chances that students will acquire a new language. As we know, a key to an ELLs success is their ability to grasp English! they can understand.  The author notes, When I used interactive notebooks in my classes — such as Microsoft OneNote, which has learning tools that can specifically support ELL students — I noticed an improvement in student engagement." The more students are engaged, the more likely it is that they will understand the material and aquire the knowledge.  
Digital media has broadened the scope of education. Technology can boost creativity, reading skills and metacognition. Students tend to engage and collaborate on projects when technology is made available.

 I really enjoyed the article and the authors assertions about technology and how it encourages and helps ELLs succeed in the classroom. I think that technology is an attractive learning tool especially when it comes to topics which can be difficult and hard for ELLs; technology adds excitement and drive for students to overcome these challenges and engage with the material! Technology also allow students to transcend traditional understanding boundaries, take for example, Google Translate! and Google Home!, I have a Google Home Mini and when I do not understand a spanish word or phrase I ask my google home mini and she tells me!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online LD resources

http://www.readingrockets.org/reading-topics/learning-disabilities ReadingRockets has a section discussing how to best understand and educ...